Hi, I’m Nella Rae – a professional writer by day and personal finance enthusiast by night. I enjoy discussing ways to save and build credit, budgeting, and income building… but through the lens of how we think.
I know all too well what it’s like to feel stuck. Stuck in my situation, stuck on a job, stuck in debt, just plain stuck. I’d see other people make strides towards their goals and wonder why I was still struggling. What were they doing so differently?
But by looking at a person’s life from the outside, it’s virtually impossible to know the whole story. Instead of looking at others, I started looking at myself: my actions, my habits, and my mistakes. It helped me to see what I was doing wrong and what patterns I often fall privy to.
I started making corrections to my habits. Whether it was issues with saving, spending, or budgeting, I tackled it. Yet, with all the tools, resources, budget apps, and savings tricks I tried, I still found myself falling back into the same bad habits after a while.
It wasn’t until I looked deeper that I discovered the real issue. I couldn’t just tackle my habits, I had to also tackle my thinking. Building an emergency fund can test your discipline and patience, but it’s possible. Making overall smarter money decisions can take a while to learn and adopt, but it’s possible. Doing any of this with the wrong mindset, makes all of it impossible… because it won’t be sustainable. The moment you hit a rough patch or lose your motivation, it becomes much harder to follow through on the goals you originally set for yourself.
It’s really not what I do or don’t do that matters. It’s how I’m thinking in the process that matters. Because what I think, is ultimately going to manifest itself in what I do.
To give you a brief background on myself, I began my career in the financial industry back in 2011 and have since learned a ton about money. From credit, to credit cards, to mortgages, to loans, I’ve gained an in-depth understanding of how to build from the bottom up. I’m no stranger to having to start over or turn rock bottom into rock solid. And I’m excited to share what I’m learning with you!
I hope you enjoy my content and benefit tremendously from it.
Now, let’s get to know each other. Here are 10 random facts about me.
- My favorite me-time thing to do is my nails.
- Having a church home makes everything right in my world. #Jesusismyhomie
- I’m a true grammarian at heart, but I can code switch like nobody’s business.
- I enjoy listening to financial podcasts.
- My husband and two sons are my world.
- I can spend hours watching vloggers on Youtube.
- I love an occasional glass of wine! So what’s the occasion today? Just kidding, kinda.
- I am a NCCU and JHU alumnus and will annoy you with it at every opportunity. #eaglepride
- My family and I reside in the beautiful city of Indianapolis.
- I love a good self-help or dis-topian society book. So if you know of any good ones, do tell!